Thursday, April 22, 2010

100% Certified Organic Garbage

I was delighted to go to CVS a few weeks ago an find that there is a new hair care line called Organix, which touts that their formulas "contain natural active ingredients and are sulfate and paraben free."

Wow how nice, a breath of fresh air.

Wait. Stop it. Natural ACTIVE ingredients...what about it's inactive ingredients? The first few lines of ingredients on the bottle were pretty comforting. I thought to myself "wow, how nice to see a commercial grade product that is actually what it claims to be." My faith in humanity was almost considering hanging up her coat and staying for a while. However, after reading this beaut of an organic ingredient list, she decided to put that coat right back on and steal some silverware and a salt shaker before she walked out the door.

Water, Coconut Milk, Egg White Protein, Coconut Oil, Vitamin E, Jojoba Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Bethentrimonium, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Glucoside, Glyceryl Stearate, Glycerin, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, Panthenol, Silk Amino Complex, Terasodium EDTA, Fragrance, DMDM Hydatoin, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinon.

Listen people, if you have to slow down to learn each syllable before you can muster the strength to even try to pronounce the whole word, it's probably NOT an organic ingredient. Apparently, the USDA only requires a beauty product to have 95 percent organic ingredients. That other 5 percent you're free to stockpile with as much hazardous waste as you want. Have a free-for-all...none of your zombie consumers read ingredient lists anyway.






Whatever, this blog is not about shampoo. It's about my garden. I decided to do an organic garden because I like eating food that I don't have to shop for, unwrap and/or wash before consumption. I might be having a love affair with nature or I might just be lazy.

I bought all "organic" soil (which smelled like cow shit, so it MUST be organic....depending on what they fed those cows), organic fertilizers, organic seeds, and organic pest control. After my encounter with that "organic" shampoo, God only knows if what I'm using is really that pure. Even if I just planted a seed in the ground and did nothing for it, who knows what's in the soil in my backyard. Or in the raindrops. Congratulations human beings, you've managed to cover pretty much every inch of the earth in your grime.

No animosity here, though. I do have to say the ingredients in the organic garden supplies were QUITE impressive. I'm very proud of my veggie babies...Tomatoes are ready to be transplanted in 2 weeks or so. Cucumbers planted on saturday and sprouted tuesday. Cantaloupes planted saturday too but they haven't showed up yet. I can't wait to transplant them outside and bathe them in acid rain.

I promise this was my only anti-humanity post. Everything following will be strictly veggie progress related.

1 comment:

  1. This is amazing. Wish I was there for your vegetable adventures. They sound like ridiculous fun...knowing how much fun we can have in a hallmark store...this would be like the pizza planet i never go to go to.

    ReplyDelete